Sunday, September 2, 2012

Au revoir America!

Here we are at last...the final day! My bags are packed, my documents are in order, and I got in my "last supper" Wisconsin style (cheese curds from Culvers). I have done a lot of traveling - from Milwaukee to Champaign and back again. I have given (and received!) a lot of excellent hugs, and said many goodbyes. And now, finally, is the moment I have been waiting for and working towards and eagerly expecting since God first put Montpellier on my heart back in December. It's been an incredible journey and I have learned so much about God, myself, and the many wonderful people He has blessed me with...and it has all been leading up to this! In about an 4 hours we will be departing (par avion, as they say) from O'Hare and flying to Paris. By dinnertime on Monday (or lunchtime for those of you stuck in Central Time) we should all be safely arrived to our new city and settling in for an amazing year.

Before I go, I would like to thank a few people once again for all they have done in getting me here. Firstly, a huge THANKS to everyone who has prayed, given, and advocated for me throughout my support-raising process. Another huge thanks to my church family at St. John for all the prayer and support and love you have poured out on me and my family - we are so appreciative! Speaking of family, thanks to all my family (blood-related and otherwise) who have helped me in so many ways to get to this point. Thank you to my parents for always helping and supporting me (even when you weren't super enthused about me leaving); and thanks for being extremely excited for me now! Thank you to all my friends who have celebrated with me, prayed for me, comforted me, and wowed me with their enthusiasm and support. I am truly blessed. Last, and certainly not least, a heartfelt and sincere thanks goes to God for His provision and faithfulness this summer, for not letting me be overwhelmed or discouraged beyond what I could bear, and for constantly reminding me of the many, detailed ways He was working behind the scenes in people's hearts to help make this dream - this calling - a reality for me.

Finally, I want to thank God for the amazing people in my life. Saying goodbyes is never easy, and I have often found myself questioning God's timing and even being angry that there are people I have loved in this "college season" of my life that I might not see again this side of Heaven. I have harbored a bitter and sometimes resentful heart towards God because I feel like He is taking them from me. God, however, never fails in His love for me (thank goodness!) and has been gently, patiently reminding me to give thanks. Instead of looking on goodbyes with sadness for the time we may not have again, He has been teaching me to give thanks for the time we have shared together, for the ways they have blessed and loved me. He has also been kindly reminding me that the people I love are also people that He loves - that I don't need to worry about them or take care of them, because that is His job and He does it much better than I ever could. So my prayer during this season of goodbyes is to thank God for all the people He has blessed me with, to trust Him that He has a good and perfect plan for my life and for their lives, and to release them to His care and protection.

God is so good! Thanks to Him and all of you...I'll post soon from across the pond! A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment