Sunday, September 23, 2012

God's provision...


This week we have so much to celebrate! God has been teaching me so much about the richness of His provision for me, and the amazing ways that He answers prayers.

God has continued to provide opportunities to go on campus, to talk with students, and to have great conversations with so many. I have been continually amazed by the ways that He is orchestrating the timing of our days, and by the way His Spirit has guided us to specific people.

On Monday, we had the chance to go to Paul Valery (the liberal arts campus) and have conversations with a few groups of students. Amy and I were able to talk to two friends - Marleine and Samia - for about an hour before they had to go to class. The girls were so relationally open and friendly! We talked through the Soularium picture postcards with them, and after answering, both girls asked us to respond which photo best represented our lives. Amy was shocked - she said that in the whole last year of going on campus, not one other student has asked her to share like that. We also spent some time sharing about our families, what we studied/are studying (both girls were psychology majors), and our favorite films. We left with a list of their top French movie recommendations and Samia's phone number so we can invite them to come watch a movie with us sometime. What a great opportunity to demonstrate God's love for them just by being sincerely interested in their stories, sharing how God has transformed us, and by offering them our friendship!

Soon after this conversation, we found out that the dossier (apartment application paperwork) that we had submitted for our apartment the previous week had been denied. After a whole week of waiting and hoping, suddenly that hope was gone. To be honest, I felt a bit crushed. I hadn't realized how much of my hope had been invested in finally having a place of my own, not living out of my suitcases anymore, and just feeling settled in somewhere. I had begun projecting my happiness into the future (I'll be happy when...) instead of giving thanks for the present moment and being content now. I hadn't even noticed how much the hope of an apartment meant to me until it was taken away suddenly. And yet...God is still so good! After reflecting, talking it over with Amy, and processing with God, I came to realize just how much my misplaced hopes were affecting me. Even more than that, God reminded me that He had a better plan - that He knew exactly what He was doing, and all I had to do was trust Him.

Sure enough, after having a heart-to-heart with God and my team, we found out Tuesday morning that Jeannette's real estate agent, Emmanuel, had another property he was renting that sounded perfect for us. We visited it Tuesday after language classes, and it seemed like a great fit. However, Emmanuel wasn't sure about all 4 of us living there - he said he would have to check with the actual owner to see if it would be possible, and that he would give us a call back. Just a few hours later, he called Jeannette to give her the good news - not only was it possible, but we could sign the lease the next day! As Jeannette said, "Emmanuel...God is with us!" It was so beautiful for me to see such tangible proof of His provision and His plan in the midst of my own doubt and disbelief. As soon as I surrendered my own hopes and plans to Him, He worked in our situation to give us exactly what He knew we needed in His perfect timing.

All that being said, hopefully Tuesday we will have all the paperwork completed and we can meet up with Emmanuel to pick up our keys and start moving in furniture! If all goes according to plan, we should be living there by Thursday or Friday of this week!

In the meantime, it's back to language school (our third week of classes), and spending time on campus in the afternoons initiating spiritual conversations with French students. Hopefully in the next few days I should be adding a new update about language school, the Majestart party last night, and sharing a few stories about different students we have been blessed to interact with. A bientot for now - I'll write again soon!

Thanks to all who are praying - it means so much! Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. What a super great post! Loveee hearing about your work in France! :)

    ReplyDelete